In the Awutu Senya West District of the Central Region, at Awutu Bantama, an eight-year-old kid died after ingesting what was thought to be palm wine. The liquid that the youngster known as Agya Kwao drank from the farm of a palm wine tapper, who allegedly poisoned the substance when he feared some people were stealing from him, caused him to pass away. Mercy Acquah, the deceased boy’s aunt, claims she saw the boy yelling for help and was transported to the hospital, but she passed away a short time after.
“I was home when I had a call to come and see my nephew. I got there, and I saw him drunk and unconscious. We rushed him to the hospital, and it was detected that he had taken poison. We tried forcing him to vomit the poison, but it didn’t work. He died a few hours later. The police came for the sample and detected it was poisonous.” The suspect has been arrested by the Awutu Bereku Police Command assisting with investigation.